Job Title: Senior Research Analyst
Location: Berkeley/San Francisco, CA (remote work in other cities or on-site work in New York, NY may be an option)
Hours: Full time
Estimated salary range: $110k-$150k
Application deadline: Rolling
About AI Impacts
AI Impacts conducts original research to answer decision-relevant questions about the future of artificial intelligence, and maintains an online knowledge base on these topics. Our projects involve a variety of disciplines, including artificial intelligence, neuroscience, history, economics, computer science, physical science, evolutionary biology and philosophy.
Carrying out this kind of work involves:
- reasoning about how to make open-ended questions tractable,
- evaluating the existing academic literature,
- gathering and analyzing new data of various kinds,
- writing in academic and encyclopedic styles.
Examples of work we have done or may do:
- Measuring computing performance trends, as input to forecasting future trends
- Reasoning about what human brains imply about the computing hardware that might be needed for ‘human-level’ AI performance
- Analysis of arguments for AI posing an existential risk to humanity
- Collection and analysis of empirical data on the frequency of discontinuous progress across a range of technologies
- Interviews on the plausibility of AI being relatively safe by default
- Survey of machine learning researchers on opinion about the future of AI
More of our past work can be found elsewhere on our website.
We aim to inform decision-making around artificial intelligence, by both others familiar with the topic (e.g. people in the AI safety community making choices about what scenarios to focus their efforts on), and people new to it (e.g. policymakers with broad mandates).
- Is flexible and accommodating to idiosyncratic needs and preferences
- Prioritizes employee thriving
- Values openness, kindness, and truth-seeking: we strive to be a place where everyone can talk about real opinions and raise stupid questions
- Values epistemic carefulness and reasoning transparency, and also making rough and fast estimates where appropriate
We are looking for accomplished researchers to work both collaboratively and independently on research supporting our mission. Senior Research Analysts have a high degree of independence and require a high degree of self-direction.
The main duties and responsibilities will depend in part on the specialization of a particular researcher. They are likely to include (but are not limited to):
- Creating and executing plans for investigating questions related to risk from advanced artificial intelligence
- Publishing high-quality reports on research findings, either on our website or in academic journals
- Providing guidance to other researchers at AI Impacts
- Creative exploration of ways we can shed light on the future of artificial intelligence
Qualification for this role is not highly-specific, but it is highly-selective. Strong candidates should have:
- A strong track record of relevant research success, such as highly-cited publications or evidence of work that influenced decision makers or an academic field
- Interest in investigating and writing about questions related to the future of artificial intelligence and associated risks
Other things that many strong candidates will not have, but which might make you an especially good fit:
- Research experience directly related to our mission
- Knowledge of economics, neuroscience, machine learning, the history of science and technology, or the scientific study of forecasting
- Familiarity with AI risk and ideas for how to improve our understanding of it
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexibility in work hours and location
- Annual stipends for learning, well-being, and productivity tech
How to apply
While we are still accepting applications, we are doing so on a rolling basis and may not respond for a long time. If you are still interested, please fill out our application. If you have any questions or are uncertain about how to fill out the form or whether you may be a good fit, please email Rick at firstname.lastname@example.org.